Organization: "Housing Opportunities, Mortgage Assistance, & Effective Neighborhood Solutions, Inc.”, founded in 1998, is a non-profit Florida corporation doing business as H.O.M.E.S., Inc., a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charitable organization with the IRS, and sales tax exempt with the State of Florida.
Mission: Providing Quality Community & Economic Development benefiting at-risk/disadvantaged lower income Broward County Residents and Neighborhoods.
Board: Local volunteer Board of Directors who live and/or work in Broward County.
NEW HOMES + NEIGHBORHOOD REVITALIZATION (Unincorp. Washington Park & Hollywood)
Original collaborative projects - involving neighborhood associations, local governments, other non-profits, etc... 33 scattered residential lots were purchased, titles cleared, “Low” and “very low” income first-time purchasers were provided homebuyer education, financial counseling, and down-payment assistance. New quality homes were built for these buyers, and infrastructure improvements were made by the local governments – to create holistic long-term positive change to specific neighborhoods. (1999 – 2005)
“NSP” - NEIGHBORHOOD STABILIZATION HOMEOWNERSHIP PROGRAM (Purchase, Rehab, & Resale of Single Family Homes – County-Wide)
One of four non-profit development partners in Broward Alliance for Neighborhood Development’s NSP Team, selected by local governments to administer approx. $28M federal funds aimed at preventing neighborhood deterioration. 175+ foreclosed houses purchased, renovated, and resold to new qualified low-mod income buyers. Program included Buyer Recruitment, Homebuyer Education, Financial Counseling, Down-Payment & Closing Cost Assistance, G.C. bid process, construction oversight, Buyer Contract & Closing process. (2009 – 2015)
YOUTH SUPPORTIVE HOUSING & SELF-SUFFICIENCY PROGRAM (Serving all of Broward since 2009)
Provides quality apartments, job coaching, paid internships, financial capability classes, life coaching, and emergency help for young adults (and their children) after state foster and relative care end. This project – operating since mid-2009 - has prevented homelessness for 150+ at-risk youth and children, and provided a stable community setting from which they can work, attend school, learn essential life skills, and become independent contributing members of our Broward community.
RENTAL HOUSING for LOWER-INCOME & SPECIAL NEEDS RESIDENTS (Ft. Lauderdale, since 2006)
45 scattered rental units are utilized for target populations, at affordable rental rates. Properties have been renovated and are maintained at a quality standard, to reduce neighborhood slum & blight, and to provide decent housing. Emergency help and Financial Literacy/Education Classes are provided for Tenants.
COMMERCIAL REVITALIZATION (13th St. Corridor/ Central City CRA in Ft. Lauderdale, since 2007)
- Helped create, chaired, housed the 13th Business Alliance in 2008, now the Central City Alliance, with mission to improve & transform our business district (still on Board);
- Helped create Central City CRA (Community Redevelopment Area) in 2011 to eradicate slum & blight in our neighborhood; helped create Redevelopment Plan; serve on Central City CRA Advisory Board;
- Helped lead numerous neighborhood improvement initiatives, including: festivals, fun runs, Business Property Landscape Pilot Program, a series of public art projects, clean-ups & painting, etc..
- Renovated buildings, landscaped, created gardens on 2.3 acre Campus in Central City CRA area, purchased in 2006, as leadership example of the community revitalization we espouse;
- Rent commercial space on our Campus, at affordable rates, to small businesses & non-profits;
- Created CityFarm Community Garden on our non-profit Campus (2009 – date);
- Created an Artists Collective on our Campus, utilizing commercial & residential space.
NUTRITIONAL LEARNING CENTER (Outdoor Kitchen)
This innovative facility will be located on our Campus, and serve as a center for teaching our youth tenants and other at-risk local groups – in a fun and interactive way - how to incorporate fresh fruits & veggies into their diet, how to prepare low-cost, delicious and healthy meals for themselves and their children, and helpful nutritional and health tips they can incorporate into their everyday lives.
NEW SINGLE FAMILY HOMEOWNERSHIP PROJECT (details to be announced in early 2017)